I took some slow-mo footage of a dragonfly, tracked several planes of it’s body in Mocha, exported shape data from those tracks to AfterEffects and matted some solid color layers with them. These shapes included the eyes, face, nose, mandibles, legs, tip of the tail and neck.

Then, in AE i did five 2-point tracks to harvest position, rotation and scale data from each wing and the body. These tracks were my way of working around lost pixel data that is occluded and/or blurred out from the wings, to get close to a “match-move in perspective” solve. The final touch was to draw the wings and tip of the tail out in mask form and animate the perspective changes via shape after the position and rotation were already applied.